Okay, for our next class, here's what you need to know:
We're reading 'WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS', up until page 89, at which point you'll find the poem that inspired the title.
Once you've read the poems, pick one you like and memorize it, so you can recite it to us in the next class. Go wild -- it's Shel Silverstein!
Here's the list of questions for discussion:
1. What is your favourite poem from this selection? Why? [And be specific, here. Why does THAT poem speak to you so clearly?]
2. What do you think Silverstein is saying in ‘Enter This Deserted House’?
3. Describe how the characters are developed in ‘The Crocodile’s Toothache’.
4. How do Silverstein’s illustrations continue each story?
5. Rate these poems from 1 [Really Bad] to 5 [Awesome!]. Tell me why.
Okay, you also need to write me an Acrostic Poem, using your name and making it reflect WHO YOU ARE, dudes. And don't forget your Postcard Story -- less than 100 words, but make 'em good words -- luscious, evocative, descriptive, KILLER words. This is first draft for both your poem and story, so type 'em out and bring 'em in. Once you get back the corrections, you can email me the good copy.
And how do you do that? Well, first you use the template to type out your work. Here it is: kc's template.
Then, you email the work to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
See you next Friday!